Join us at cloudforest adventure, Intag, Ecuador, in the beautiful Andes for the adventure holiday of a lifetime. This is your chance to experience life in a peaceful and remote Andean community – the perfect location for travellers who prefer to get off the beaten track.
[for more photos & videos please see our Photos & Videos section]
A Cloud Forest adventure includes
Cloud Forest caters for individuals or groups from 1 to 10 people. We also cater for larger groups who wish to camp in tents.
- Great hiking towards and into the pristine jungle of one of the world’s least explored Nature Reserves (Cotacachi-Cayapas, 600,000 acres) which has the highest number of endemic species in the world. Altiplano (highland) treks in the beautiful Piñan lakes area.
- Free guided forest tours on our farm (and further afield), horse-riding trips, treks with spectacular views of volcanoes, highlands and jungles. Good bird-watching (toucan barbet, two species of Guan, two species of trogon, quetzal, plate-billed mountain toucan etc). Pristine waterfall and river bathing. Harvest, prepare and eat a wide range of local fruit and vegetables.
- Comfortable cabin accommodation, with wifi, and we're quite often told that the food here is some of the best in Ecuador. Private bedrooms/bathrooms.
- A chance to experience rural Ecuadorian traditions and to meet local people: Sub-tropical and temperate organic farming, coffee production, hand milking, cheese-making, basket weaving, traditional sugar cane and avocado production - all at our cloud forest farm, or within a short (3 mile) taxi-truck ride to our sub-tropical farm (which belongs to Patricia's Mum, Doña Rosa Maria). In short, we offer an active experience, authentic and fun for all ages.
- No malaria or dengue fever in this area, and no SICCA ( zika) syndrome or Lymes disease. In our opinion, no vaccinations are needed to visit Cloudforest Adventure in Intag. The jungle here is temperate cloud forest and upper montane (typical daytime temperature 23 celsius at the upper farm, and 28 celsius at the sub-tropical farm)- a beautiful and healthy eco-system.
- We also organise visits to local attractions such as Cuicocha lake, Nangulvi geo-thermal baths, Wariman pre-colombian sacred temple and museum, and have contacts with two experienced shamans (Yachags) who offer healing experiences near Otavalo.
- For those who'd like to reach out to local people, we offer teaching, farmwork and conservation volunteer placements in Intag (Cuellaje parish).
- See our listings on Trip Advisor, Airbnb, and Booking under cloudforest adventure.
- Suitable for people who like nature, and who feel fine with farm animals such as horses, cows and guinea pigs. Not suitable for those who require an urban environment.
Price per person: $20 per day - includes all accommodation and 3 first-rate mainly organic, home-produced meals, and free tours/demonstrations/excursions within our farms (about 200 acres in total); excludes overnight camping trips to wilderness areas, and birding , exploring , or horseriding excursions when requested outside of our farms, (where usually there is a small extra cost to pay for a guide and sometimes a mule to carry camping equipment).We’ll come and accompany you to our farm - cost price pick-up service from Quito airport and city centre, or from Otavalo or Mindo. We can also arrange first-rate and friendly accomodation for you in Quito, including tours of the city, with our good friends Chari Agea and Felix Castaneda. Chari is an acupuncturist, Felix a flute musician with the orchestra of Andean instruments.
We look forward to welcoming you to Ecuador!